Thursday, August 11, 2011

Ultravox - Vienna

When exploring synth-pop, Ultravox was a name that came up often. I believe I briefly tried their best-of, Dancing with Tears in My Eyes but I don't remember. Any anyway, if a band is worth a damn, their albums are usually better than best-of compilations. So I started their 1980 album Vienna, as it was rated the highest on AllMusic. Because iTunes is generally worthless, my first few listens to this album were with an out-of-order tracklisting, and I was not impressed.

It's amazing what a difference the tracklisting can make, but even upon correcting the mistake, I still feel like this is a pretty inconsistent album. The opening track is great, as are the two penultimate tracks, "Western Promise" and "Vienna"; really the album should've ended with the title track. The remainder of of the other songs are cringe-worthy ripoffs of other synth-heavy bands, like Kraftwerk ("Mr. X") and Devo ("All Stood Still"). Vienna ends up as a slight disappointment, as this album easily could be sliced down to a very solid EP
.

Still, I expect I'll try some other Ultravox albums and will hopefully have better results. If not, then I guess it's back to Dancing with Tears in My Eyes.

In the meantime, I could live in this song for quite a while:


No comments:

Post a Comment