Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Flaunt It

There's a scene in High Fidelity when two young punks try to shoplift from Rob's record store. One of them drops their skateboard and Rob chases after them. They eventually drop their stash, which at a glance includes the Minutemen's Double Nickles on the Dime and Brian Eno's Music for Films.
"Ryuichi Sakamoto, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, Breakbeats, Serge Gainsbourg. What are you guys, stealing for other people?"
"No, those are for us."
"You guys slamming to Joni Mitchell now?"
I should've followed up on those reference earlier, as I undoubtedly would've gotten to Yellow Magic Orchestra sooner than just last year. But here I am, just now getting to Sigue Sigue Sputnik.

Their album Flaunt It--which is essentially the extent of their career--is pretty wild. The sound is somewhere between Suicide and a glammed-up Devo with Max Headroom as the frontman. Not knowing much, I would've placed this as late 70s or early 80s, so I was surprised to find this didn't come out until 1986.

As much as I find it enjoyable, I don't think Flaunt It is really that mind-blowing. It's got a lot of energy and it's fun to listen to but man is it a handful. The song below is one of the few comedowns on the album, "Atari Baby."

No comments:

Post a Comment