Saturday, October 22, 2011

sources

One of the sources for exploring Krautrock music was Julian Cope's Krautrock Sampler, which can be yours for a few hundred bucks. Or you can try to find the PDF online. Or, if you just want some album recommendations with minimal text, there's a list of his Top 50 Krautrock albums.

My favorite Krautrock albums all appear here, with the exception of Cluster and Eno, which perhaps is more ambient than Krautrock, but that's a blurred line anyway. Off the top of my head, my own top ten would include:

Ash Ra Tempel - Schwingungen
Can - Ege Bamyasi
Can - Future Days
Cluster - Zuckerzeit
Cluster and Eno - Cluster and Eno
Faust - IV
Harmonia - Deluxe
La Dusseldorf - La Dusseldorf
Neu! - Neu! 75
Walter Wegmuller - Tarot

I've tried a few of the other albums on this list from Amon Duul, Popul Vuh, and Tangerine Dream without much success, but I may try revisiting some of those while I'm checking out un-heard albums from Cosmic Jokers, Witthuser & Westrupp, and Tony Conrad.

No comments:

Post a Comment